Day

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Day 13412, & a day of mourning...

Or, alternatively, a good reason that Beau really doesn't need a koi pond...

So, for the last 3 years, Jay has lived with the fear that one day, an intruder would invade his little homemade Eden.


Yes, Jay is terrified that a blue heron will find his pond and, ultimately, the somewhat pricey pond residents.

I didn't really help to calm this fear when I told him I saw a blue heron on a run one day.  

As I was running just a few miles from home, Jay made me swear that I was careful running home, so as to not let the bird follow me back to the pond for lunch.

Whatever...

I refuse to live in fear.

As it turns out, it isn't blue herons that we need to worry about...



You would never know it to look at her; however, apparently, we need to worry about Lucy.

And we don't have to worry about Casey anymore.

Why, you might be asking?

Well, in case you haven't figured it out, Lucy is a fish killer and Casey was the one that gave her her first taste of blood.



When Jay let her back into the house on Saturday, I thought she was acting odd.  Jay went to give her a reassuring pat on the head.

"Boy, Lucy sure does smell like fish..."

"Maybe she was drinking the pond water..."






Well, as it turns out, she wasn't drinking the pond water.  Rather, apparently, as Casey innocently swam up to Lucy, undoubtedly waiting for her to feed him, she decided he was a toy.  As you can see here, she also tried to bury him.

When we bought this fish last Spring, he was about 6 inches long.  Clearly, he has grown.  What does that mean?  Well, it means Lucy killed a $100.00 fish.  So, at least she has good taste...


Now, in all fairness, I can't say for sure that the fish didn't just jump out of the pond.  I also can't say that Lucy was the guilty one.  

Take a look at her face.

You decide if she looks guilty.





Meanwhile, you just can't beat a good koi funeral...


Ashes to ashes...

















We will miss you, Casey.



3 comments:

Nat said...

See, really, this post should be titled As to Why Beau Now REALLY Wants a Koi Pond. Attracting Blue Herons and dogs all good stuff to Beau. It would be like having Mutual of Omaha in your backyard.

I know Jay must devastated and for the murderer to be a member of the family, well, I am sure that is tough all around. My condolences.

*giggle* "the pretty one" *snort*

DG Strong said...

That headstone is hilarious. That must be your handwriting, because everyone knows Jay writes like a serial killer.

Anonymous said...

Oh! I never liked the way that dog eyed my kids... now I know I wasn't crazy (about that anyway) and I understand why my children aren't allowed in the backyard at the same time as the dog.

Funny how you guys thought to extend that caution to children, who can speak and say things like, "Hey, Mom? This dog is gnawing on my sock," but you leave the dog out there with a pond full of sitting ducks.

Poor, poor Casey. Bad Lucy.