Day

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Day 13295, & I am not dying...

Well, the results are in...

I had a physical a few weeks ago. It was my first physical in 6 years. Why wait, you ask? Well, it is EASY to get caught up in other things when you are avoiding the doctor. You gotta love the power of denial.
Anyway, I was quite certain I was dying.
Of what, you ask?
High blood pressure, high cholesterol, alcoholism, cancer, diabetes. You know, all the basics. Yes, I realize that I wasn't going to die of all of these things. I just wasn't sure which one was going to be the one that actually killed me.
Anyhoo, it turns out that I am not going to die tomorrow, or hopefully the next day either. Aside from some slightly high blood pressure (hello, I am a restaurateur...) my levels were all normal.
I was very excited and relieved. Kidneys and liver all functioning normally. No need to cut back on beer yet. Cholesterol good. No need to cut back on all of the delicious high fat food I enjoy. Blood pressure? Well, clearly, I should cut back on work and try to vacation more.
Oddly, Jay was not as receptive to this as I might have hoped. Apparently, he is not as concerned about my health as he should be. Please keep this in mind should something happen to me and he collects his lottery winnings, I mean life insurance.
The doc told me that my newly acquired running routine should help solve the BP issue. He also suggest that I cut back on my drinking. The thought of carrying out his suggestion raised my blood pressure. Not an option (again, restaurateur...)
Anyway, moral of the story? Don't be afraid of the doctor.
I took today off from running and the gym. Back to it tomorrow.
(and I have no idea why blogger does not want to let me put a space between paragraphs...bitch be crazy!)

No comments: