Day

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Day 13235, & it hurts to walk

I ran 5 miles on Wednesday.

When I say I ran, I mean that I mostly ran.  Actually,  I ran 30 minutes, inserting 2:30 walking breaks in between 7:30 runs.  Then did my core work and resumed another 20 minutes, same as above.

Now, apparently, I guess that I pushed myself too hard.  I have been so consumed by watching my heart rate, and keeping it at or under 165, that I have ignored my poor little legs.  Specifically, I have neglected my feet and my knees.

I think my confidence level went up when I made it past shin splints in the first few days.  In retrospect...ooops!

Thursday, feeling sore, but not defeated, I did a 3 mile cardio warm up on the elliptical.  I felt great after.  All of my limbs checked out ok and I was able to stretch at my normal limits.

Yesterday, I was not able to complete a mile at a even a 10:00 pace.  My feet hurt.  I got 4 miles in at a 13:00 pace.  I probably should have turned off the incline though.

I spent an hour yesterday googling "sore feet running" after "Chris's legs hurt" failed to yield any results.  Everything I found seems not quite right.  My feet are not sensitive to pressure in any 1 area.  They just hurt when I walk and especially when I hit the floor for the first time of the day.  I did read that this is the common symptom of all the possible explanations.  I decided to explain it away as "second day syndrome" and hope for the best.

As a self-proclaimed internet physician, I am baffled by my ailment.  When I basically fell out of bed today, it took me a good 30 seconds to make it downstairs.  This would be an odd discovery-- third day syndrome??  Really???

I guess it will be elliptical again today.

1 comment:

Nat said...

In the beggining the legs go through a lot with running. There will be lots, did I say lots? Lots of little aches, stiffness and yes, pain. Doesn't matter how fit you are before you start running--the pounding will take its toll. All those soft tissues, muscles and bones have to get use to it. Not to mention running faster hurts more than running slower.

Good news on the distance though! That is great. My theory is that if you run 75% of it (walked 25%)you ran the whole thing. You'll be ready for a half marathon in no time. If I have the general leg aches I usually do something different like swim, cycle or the elliptical the next day. Rest days not necessary so long as you go easy or use different muscles. I thought you were skiing.