Day

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Day 13231, Super Tuesday

Ahh, the democratic process...So liberating.

Where to start.  Well, the beginning, I guess, is a very good place to start...

I started my day at 6:30 with a few cups of coffee, and a heaping bowl of Total.  I have to get going early on Tuesdays so that I can feel somewhat awake by my 8 o'clock training session.  Mile and a half of warm up, then lower body today.  All good.  My feet are still a bit sore, but I did not have any issues with weights today.

Then, for a brief period, I thought my "day off" was going to fade away as the lunch supervisor called out sick.  Again, another reason why I can never really consider myself free and clear from the restaurant.  Even with our vacation, there are no guarantees.  That is why I tell the GM:  Any big problems, close the bitch down for the week.  I am not coming back early!

Anyway, I didn't have to go in.  This would have made for a relaxing day, but while I was procrastinating on getting ready for work--when I still thought I had to go--I got sucked into a bit of house cleaning, laundry doing, bill paying.  Next thing I know, it is noon...

Now I am pissed because I have to go and vote.  And it is lunchtime.  And it is going to be crowded.  And I am gonna have to wait in line.  And I am gonna be really annoyed!!!  Not to mention, who the hell am I gonna vote for?  I have been following all of this closely enough to see that I am just not pleased with ANY of my choices.  Can I just have a skip, and move on to the next presidential election?

Well, since the "skip" idea is not really practical, I decided to go on down to the poll center and do my duty as a citizen.  I should have known what I was in for, based on where I had to park.  I got out of my car and walked the, I don't know...20 yards? That's right.  I parked right up front...because NOBODY was there.  Shouldn't lunchtime be one of the busiest times of day?

So, now I am mad that I am struggling with who to vote for and nobody else has bothered to show up (except for a few VERY SCARY lesbitarians that are having a Hillary party on the back of their Subaru Outback)  I then proceed inside.  No line...Straight to old lady number one, and then...

(The following conversations MIGHT have been modified to protect my political privacy, which, as you will see, is where my problem lies.  On the other hand, this conversation could be dead on...)

Old Lady 1: Do you have your ID or Voter's Registration Card?

Me: Yes, here is my Voter's Card  (thinking: of course, I have my Registration card, I am an organized gay, you dumb bitch!!!)

Old Lady 1: Please fill out your name, address, and signature on this form.

Tick tock

Me: Here you go.

Old Lady 1:  Oh, Mr. Laurie (cause cleary that is EXACTLY how my last name looks like it should be pronounced. Morons!) You need to check whether you are voting Democrat or Republican.

Me: OK, I guess.

Now, at  this point I am thinking that my privacy is being trampled on, but whatever, it is somewhat necessary, I guess...  We all know how important fairness is in an election.

Old Lady 2:  Hello, Mr....Lori (Really?)  Let...me...just...fill...out...this...form...as...soon...as...I...find... you...here...in...my...book.

Me: (silent, no eye contact)

Old Lady 2:  Let's see, my initials here (using her full, normal, speaking volume at a table of 3, with 2 other voters at the table) ballot number here, and...Democratic ballot.  Thank you, Mr Lori.

Now, I am a bit pissed...

Old Man at Booths:  Hello, sir.  Right this way.  Let's see.  This here is your votin' machine.  you will have instructions here, and when your ready, just hit this and you'll get your ballot.  And let's see here, your votin' democrat.

Me: Got it, thanks!

Any now, clearly, EVERYONE that was in either of the rooms that contained this process have also got it.  They now know everything about my basic political beliefs.  They know everything, EXCEPT HOW TO SAY MY DAMNED LAST NAME!!!

I am appalled.  I do my best, make my choice, and off I go, mad as hell about this democracy, or at least the democratic process as it has evolved, anyway.

I didn't give the dogs a bath today.

Clearly that would have been too hard!

3 comments:

Nat said...

Mmmm, liberal huh? Even though you are a business owner? Money speaks louder to me than anything else so I lean conservative.
The choices sucked and I voted wrong. I voted for someone who is no longer running.hehe, wishful thinking. I knew he had pulled out but he was still on the ballot and had been my choice all along.So. . . My other choice was Huckabee but only because he is a marathon runner and I felt that wasn't enough to make me vote for him so went with my choice that was no longer running. . .

Sigh, it is never a good time to bathe dogs but I am guessing you get yours groomed.Have fun skiing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Nat. Nice to meet you.

Uh, CHRIS?

IT'S BEEN FOURTEEN DAYS SINCE YOU'VE STARTED THIS THING AND YOU HAVEN'T MENTIONED ME YET.

GRRRR.

Anonymous said...

Uh, just because *I* decide to tailgate for the Lainey version of the football playoffs doesn't mean you can mock my Subaru Outback. I'm working on a way to fashion a Bushwacker machine to the drivetrain. Then you'll be sorry.