Day

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Day 13423, & I am not an athlete...

So, this week marks one year of gym membership.  Therefore, this week also marks my first year of actually following through at my attempt to be physically fit.  Ironically, it also seems to represent what I am beginning to see as a failure.

As I have always known, I am quite competitive.

I am also quite the perfectionist.

Mainly though, I am quite the addict.  I have a very addictive personality.  Just ask the bartenders at my local watering hole.  I have no hobbies.  I have addictions.

That said, when I am unable to get my fix, I get grumpy and a bit whiney.  (Note, that is your warning about this post...)

I started running in February.  I started quite aggressively.  This resulted in what I remember as temporary paralysis. I could barely walk for weeks.  So, despite my need to run, I stayed away from the treadmill for several weeks.  Eventually, I eased back into exercise, on the elliptical machine until my legs trusted that I wasn't going to wreck them again.

Then, I tricked them back into running.  And, I took it back up at a much less aggressive rate.  This new approach did not result in pain, injury, or the sidelines.  Instead, I quickly became one of those people.  You know, one of those runner people.  Everyone knows one.  Running, blah blah, blah.

No, I have to go.  I can't stay up late.  I have to get up in the morning for a run.

You know, if you didn't smoke, you would have a much easier time exercising.

Ask me how far I ran today.

and so on...

Then, as I improved my endurance, I realized that I could easily finish a half marathon.  And, when I ran 13.1 miles for the first time, and didn't die, I realized that I could probably train to run a full marathon.

Now, I know that I could run a full marathon.  I might not enjoy running one, but I know that I could do it.  However, the competitive spirit still lives here.  Therefore, if I am going to run a full marathon, I am going to run it.  Now, I don't mean crazy run, like in less than 3:00, or even less than 3:30.  I think a sub 4:00 first marathon will be ok with my competitive side.

So, with an introductory understanding of my psyche, imagine my disappointment.  It seems that I have trouble with speed.

I am 3 and a half weeks into a 16 week marathon training program, and again, I am sore.  Well, I am not sore, but my left calf is quite sore enough for the both of us.  It is now suffering from the same affliction that the right calf battled through a few weeks ago.  Only, true to form, my right side is quite the champion.  It always rallies quickly.  Because? My right side is stronger.  This is something I know.  I have been battling left-side inferiority for the duration of my current, year long exercise regimen.

My medical diagnosis?  At first, I thought tendonitis.  I have never had tendonitis and I have never had this kind of pain.  That seemed to be a rational correlation, in my medical opinion.  But then, after consulting my medical journals, aka Google, I now think it is calf strain due to over pronation.

My solution, more new shoes.  Well, new shoes and a conversation, read scolding, with my buddy at Team Nashville.  I am assuming that when I point to the affected area, inside calf, right behind the shin bone, he will know what is wrong.  And the shoes?  Well, I want new shoes.  Who doesn't?  But, I am also thinking that my original pair have over 400 miles on them.  Definitely time to retire them from running.

Why speed?  (Remember, 4 ranting paragraphs prior?)  Well, I have no issues after running distances.  The issues come after interval and tempo runs.  The issues come when I run any distance at a sub 8:45 pace.  Sometimes it takes a day, sometimes two.  It happened to my right leg after my last 10K.  It happened to my left, again, this week after my interval run.

5X1000m at 8:30, with 9:40 recoveries mixed in.  7.4 miles on the treadmill doing intervals and now I can't run.  Last week, I noticed the same problem after 20 minutes at 8:40 in the midst of an 8 mile tempo run on the treadmill.  Maybe it is the treadmill?  No, I doubt it.

Am I destined to be an over 4:00 marathoner?  I don't think I would like running for over 4 hours.  I still have doubts that I will like running over 3 hours.  I know I like running for 2:00 to 2:30.  At least I can still have that 15 mile run.

So, last week's training:

Monday- 5 miles, treadmill, interval
Tuesday- 5 miles, treadmill, hill setting for 2 miles, steady 9:15-ish
Wednesday- 8 miles, treadmill, tempo
Thursday- Elliptical, 3 miles, cross training
Friday- Nothing! Rested. Whatever...
Saturday- 15.1 on the road, some hills and bridges, 9:47 pace, no walking
Sunday- 4 miles, greenway, flat, easy 9:22, despite my efforts to run it slower

And yes, lots of icing down, stretching, etc., so I don't think the problem lies with my care giving abilities.  My legs are not neglected...

2 comments:

Nat said...

Okay, I am going to tell you the secret as to how you will run a sub 4 marathon. IF you can maintain sub 10 minute miles on your 20+ milers then you will run a sub 4 becuase of race day magic. Did you see that. Magic. It exists.
Did you also see that + part? You have to do at least one run that is at least 22 miles. 23 or 24 would be better. 1 20 miler will not prepare you.

You need to worry more about building up your endurance than the speed. You will get faster by just running more but not if you are injured. Do not get injured. If you have to drop anything drop the speed work. Or do it once every two weeks. Or just do a 10 race once every 3-4 weeks. And remember running hills a lot is like speed work and will also lead to more injuries. You need to temper all these things but the most important factor for finishing your first marathon is putting in the time on your feet during training.

Also, I get new shoes every 300-350 miles. You are more than due. Get new shoes every 300 miles. Wear new shoes for long runs and speed work only. Wear old shoes for recovery and shorter runs or treadmill runs. Your new shoes will stay newer this way longer. Also, ideally put 50-100 miles on the shoes you wear for the marathon and do at least 1 long run in them. Something to keep in mind.

Oh, and did you see Charlie's blog? He broke his leg.

Anonymous said...

Whatever. Running running running. Blah blah blah. It's almost time for Three Crow.