Day

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Day 13253, and skiing begins

Ah, the ski trip. You look forward to something long enough, you are bound to be disappointed in some way...

BUT NOT THIS TIME! It was freakin' fantastic!!!



Ski Day 1 was at Breckenridge. This decision was not made lightly. Jay wanted to give skiing another try after last years failed attempt. I noticed that the greens were much more gentle here than at Keystone. Keeping in mind that Jay referred to last year's training hill as a triple pink triangle, I thought that he might be more successful in a different setting.


Well, I was right, sort of. Last year, Jay skied with the instructor for a total of 3 hours. Jeff and I used the other half of the lesson to sharpen our skills a bit once Jay quit. This year? 4 and a half hours of lesson helped Jay to make it all the way up to Ten Mile Station and down again (keep in mind, Ten Mile Station is a mid-mountain lodge, much lower than its name implies.) However, as I was able to get the "action" shot, it was money well spent. After Jay called it quits for the day, Katie and I skied with Erin (the instructor, who was, coincidentally, from Nashville.) Notice I said "skied with" and not "got instrction from," as there was very little learning involved...Hummmn...maybe money not so well spent?

Anyhoo, Katie and I had a spectacular day. By afternoon, we were skiing black runs, but no bumps. I tend to avoid the things that might make me fall, or die. No Sonny Bono trees for me. Plus, if something is hard, then why bother doing it? Do you know what isn't hard?

Drinking beer.

That, as I have always known, is quite easy. So easy, in fact, that "beer lunch" became a nutritional staple of each ski day. It is like bravery in a bottle. In fact, I have to say that it makes me a better skier. Perhaps it is because I am more relaxed. Perhaps it is because I am a bit less timid. Most likely, it is because I become stupid; but, even so, it makes things more fun, so who really cares? If I was going to worry about something at this point, it would be that said beer was $5.50. Robbery, I tell you...By the way, you can't see it here, but Katie shared my view on this drinking before noon thing and don't let her tell you different!


By the end of the afternoon, it was time to go home and recoup. Dissappointed by the lack of fresh, new, falling snow, Jay felt it necessary to go outside and take pictures in front of the tall mounds of snow off the driveway.


Katie, on the other hand...

"Screw this bitches! I'm gettin a drink!"

1 comment:

Nat said...

OMG what a fun trip. A few years ago Ryan and I stayed at the Keystone village. It was so awesome.
And I have to admit that the thing that motivates me most about skiing is when there is bee mid run. The liquid courage is a necessity for me.