Day

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Day 13252, travel day...

First of all, I am cheating. Well, not cheating, but going back a week. The posting opportunities in CO were few and far between. Now that I am back, I figure I can just recap day by day. So, there we have it.



Tuesday was traveling day. We woke up at 3:30 am and finished packing. Our flight left at 6:00 am, and I am not one to arrive at the airport at the last minute. It would seem that 3:30 might have been a bit early, as some people had plenty of extra time to stew about being up so early (though it was only 30-45 minutes earlier than he normally gets up...)

After getting a ride to the airport, via Catherine Express, we flew right threw ticketing and security. This did not help further my argument about arriving early. Jay is not generally excited to fly in the first place. Give him the opportunity to stew over it and you are just asking for trouble.

I gave him the window seat. Not only does seeing out the window seem to help, I also find that occasionally letting him get his way allows me to win the bigger battles. This was a tough call though, as the window seat had plenty of leg room in the exit row. (Note: If you fly Frontier, go for Row 11, Seats A or F. There is not a seat in front of you.) Jay also chastised me for sleeping through half of the flight. Apparently, he takes his Emergency Row duties far more seriously than I do. Thus, being awakened by an emergency, I might be too sluggish to save lives. Eh, whatever...

We arrived in Denver 20 minutes ahead of schedule, extending our wait for Katie to three hours. (Note: all airports are boring...) We picked up the car and waited. Katie and I haven't seen each other in years, but I had no trouble spotting her at baggage claim.

Once she arrived, we hopped into the car and headed to our first destination, the liquor store. Wine, beer, liquor, we bought plenty. Our total for 6 days for four people? $120.00! God bless Applejack!

Once out of Denver, we made great time to Silverthorne. We dropped our bags at the condo, put away the booze, and headed to the grocery store for food. This is apparently, according to some, when my bossiness and planning began to spiral out of control. I have never considered myself a control freak so I have no idea what they are talking about.

Next stop, Keystone. It is always a good idea to knock out the ski rental ahead of time. So, we were off to the village to get skis and boots.

There was some concern about the lack of snow on the ground. I could care less, as the snow on the mountain was plentiful. When it doesn't snow too much, it is easy to drive. As the designated driver for the entire trip, I am good with easy driving...

Finally, at 5 pm, we arrived home for the day. With all the errand running taken care of, happy hour began. I must say, I am not a nature person. However, there is nothing more beautiful than the Colorado mountains on a clear winter day. I think it is more beautiful from your back deck, beer in hand, friends at your side. Suddenly, all the tension fell away, and the vacation truly began. The forecast called for warm temperatures and sunny weather for the first few days. Again, good for driving, but bad for Jay. He does love a good snow. It snowed on Nashville on our first night in Colorado...


Now, don't get me wrong. There was plenty of snow. I would say that we had 4 feet in the back yard. I have never seen Jay so frustrated. He must have walked on that snow for 10 minutes. The snow layers had iced over so many times that you couldn't fall through. I thought we were in for trouble...

My concern was unnecessary.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love how Jay manages to look annoyed in two of three photos in this post. Heh.