Day

Monday, July 7, 2008

Day 13385, & homo on the range...

So, I have been in Kansas for 3 days.  That is 1.5 days too many, outside of the time with the family.

Here are some quick highlights of the first couple days:

This would be the view from just about any highway in Kansas.  At first, it is somewhat serene.  Over time, it becomes tiresome and depressing to me.

BTW, I think that I took this picture right after my dad was pulled over for 73 in a 65.  The patrolman also claimed to smell alcohol in the car.  Thank god there were really not any open containers in the car.  Also, thankful that dad wasn't over-indulgent while waiting for me to arrive at the airport.  I claimed responsibility for the alcohol smell, telling the cop that I drank up on my flight to KS... I also think he was bluffing, as it was the 4th...


Despite the Planes, Trains, & Automobiles delays of the day, we made it to Dodge City and settled in at my grandmother's.  This is the view of the city fireworks from her backyard.  No fuss there.  When I was a kid, we had to go to the country club across the street and walk down the golf course to see the show.  Now, just out the back door seems easier, as I tend to bore of fireworks very quickly...

Saturday, I got up early for a run.  The run went badly, but I did get some shots of town...




Movie theater here.  It is closed for the summer though, as apparently there is a drive-thru somewhere nearby.  I guess there isn't a need for both to be open.  I did check though, and the movies are current...


And, this would be one of the major roads in Dodge City, Central Avenue...

Later in the day, we went out to look at farmland.  I should mention that one day I stand to inherit land here, worth 10s of tens of dollars per acre (read sarcasm...)





Look familiar?






Here is a bit of the aforementioned land.  He decided to grow corn to take advantage of the ethanol demand.  I have to say that it is amazing how efficient farming has become.  Perfectly straight rows, perfectly spaced plants, and then of course, one hell of a sprinkler...

My only real worry was...


I made it out OK, so no need to worry.

There was one quite amazing sight, however.  And I have to say, I think it is sad that we don't see more of these every day.

According to the information, this wind farm can power 66,000 homes.

Looking at the price of oil, along the current state of our economy, I am a bit confused.  Granted, I have no idea what it costs to build one of these windmills, let alone 150 of them.  I also have no idea how the power is applied.  I do know that the bolts used to anchor the tower are drilled 150 feet into the ground. Wow!  So, 

How many lesbians does it take to install a windmill??? 

I will leave you all to work that joke out...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read that line, "perfectly straight rows, perfectly spaced plants, and then of course, one hell of a sphincter."

You need to go home so you can leave again and come here.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, those windmills can't produce near the power advertised, are expenseive to maintain, and it would take hundreds of millions of them to make a difference. Once you devote all that land to windmills, we have no food to eat.

Drill for oil where we got it. Build nuke plants.
Develop Hydrogen based engines.
Reduce the human population.

Stoph said...

Dear anonymous-

A. Who are you?

B. I agree, in part.

C. I already admitted to not being an expert on wind power.

Anonymous said...

BLOG DAMMIT! I'm getting antsy.