Day

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Day 13384, & the beginning of "vacation"

So, as mentioned, my 4th of July holiday began with the 10K.

I awoke at 5:15 to have breakfast, coffee, and some extra stretching.  Jay decided to sleep in; he got up at 5:45.  We had decided he would come with me.  As the course was a double loop, he would get to hang out downtown, see me go by at the split, and then again at the finish.  Quality time spent before I rush to get ready to go to the airport, I'd say...

So, I ran the race.  I went out too fast, burned out too soon, and finished slightly better than last time.  Blah, blah, blah...

I watched a guy totally spill in the last mile, after the rain.  Jay witnessed a whole different disaster.  Apparently, the 5K people dress up for the race.

I guess I just wasn't feeling as patriotic as this guy was...

Post race, it was a speedy cool down, and then home to ready myself for my trip to Dodge City, KS.  

I made it to the airport by 10:45 for my 12:20 flight.  Checking in and breezing through security took a total of 8 minutes.  More time at the bar for some post race celebrating with a bartender named Dan at the Tootsie's Orchid Lounge at BNA.  It didn't help that there was a delay.  As a responsible passenger, I opted for a delay bottle of beer, vs the 22 ounce drafts I had been enjoying previously.  I have seen Airline enough times.  I know not to be visibly intoxicated while boarding.  This is especially true when my name pops up on the upgrade list...

The best seat on an airplane is always the bulkhead seat.   Sure, you have to stow your bag in the overhead.  Sure, you won't be able to get anything until the "fasten seat belt" light goes out.  But, as a trade off, you will have a better chance of having the other seat remain empty.  Apparently, most people are really that lazy; apparently, it is really that hard to stand up and get your carry-on down after take off.  And, if you manage to snag that upgrade to 1st class, there is nothing better than the feeling you get when that other seat is still empty and the agent closes the boarding door.

I should also mention that there is no better start to a vacation than a nice plane flight.  If I was clever/artistic, I might draw you a picture of how to accomplish this task.  As I am not that person, I will say only that you should do this on a traditional airline, not a discounter.  You should check your bag (regardless of the $20.00 they might charge you) as you will not miss carrying it around the airport with you.  Most importantly, you should always arrive at least 1 hour before boarding time (not departure time!!!).  If you get onto an airplane noticeably later than everyone else, I will give you the glare of death (trust me, it is bad.)  

I don't know if you are aware of this, but I am a bit of a control freak.  Things are pretty much expected to be just so.  When things are off center, out of place, or clearly just wrong, I have issue.  When I get on a plane, I pretty much have to give up control.  I would feel safe saying that once a sit down on a plane, I am completely relaxed.  Once, I sit down on a plane (without any small children close to me,) I am a completely different person.


How can you be be anything but relaxed when this is the view from the window?  If you have been living in the South for the last several years, it is pretty rare to see clouds like this in the summertime.


Ahh, relaxing...


And, in the event you are a nervous flyer, I have a solution for you, too...

Have a beer or three.  Always makes it better...

You know what also makes it better?  Getting the flight attendant on your side.  Always buy a copy of US Weekly, In Touch, or some other gossip rag to give to the attendant.  If you are uneasy about the blatant nature of this bribe, then it is recommended that you pretend to read it first.  Then you can just give it to them when you are "done."  Trust me, treat a flight attendant well, and they will hook you up...

I had to change planes in Dallas.  Lucky me, I arrived at C21 and my connection was C31.  Luckier me, the flight crew from Nashville was transferring, too.  No need to buy more gossip rags...

Delay number two was a result of said flight attendant feeling "uncomfortable" with the way the emergency slide was arming itself during pre-flight.  Judging from the look the Captain gave her, he seemed a bit uncomfortable with her judgment .  Me?  I had my bulkhead seat to myself, and had a pre-flight cocktail, so I was good...





Here's a preview of the next entry



1 comment:

Nat said...

I can't wait to see the pictures of you working the fields.