Day

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Day 13357, & still nothing ...

So, I think the heat is having a negative impact on me.

No, this is not a surprise. I hate the heat. I always hate the heat. I am barely even a beach person. I am a snow person. Cold, I am good with. I'll bet Adam Sank likes the heat.

Anyway, blogging has not been on my mind lately. This is obvious, I know. I think that I am just having trouble accepting that I have to deal with the heat for the next 4 months. It is distracting me from everything.

And by everything, I would have to include running.

I have been getting up really early. What I have learned is that I seem to max out at about 85 degrees. If the sun is on me and it is 85+, I seem to fall apart in about 3 miles or any pace worth mention.

Last week, I MIGHT have gotten 15 miles in. I don't even know. Even the new shoes were way more NoGo than MoGo...

I know that each day, I got up earlier in an attempt to beat the heat. Apparently, this means getting up while it is still night out, ready to bolt out the door at the first hint of dawn. Even then, I would guess I have an hour, at best.

Today, when I rolled over to see the temperature displayed on my bedroom ceiling, I jumped out of bed immediately. It was 68 degrees! It was also 6:15, but who cares??? Not hot, gotta run.

I got in a lovely 8.3 miles in. I left my house, headed downtown, and then back home, through Shelby Park. Had I not gotten lost and also been suffering from a new chaffing area (iPod arm band), I would have kept it under 9:30 pace. Instead, as I felt lost (with a Garmin and an iPhone=I am a dumbass) and sore, I walked a bit in the last mile.

For the duration of summer, I think I will try to get three strong road runs in each week. I also think that the treadmill and I are gonna be great friends.

But, I still want to go get in a long run here:



Jay will have to drop me off and pick me up. I don't think that an out-and-back run would be near as enjoyable as a run-Forrest-run Natchez Trace run would be.

Anyhow, outside of being miserable, a bit of running, and work. I have nothing new to report at the moment. I will say that my friend Catherine has an amusing new entry or two, and an oh-so-tasteful new format, as well. No, she is not quite as crazy as you might think from the read.

I'm trying to work myself out of this rut. I hope to be amusing again by the end of the month.

2 comments:

Adam Sank said...

Lies! I despise the heat! I sweat more than a drag queen at a NASCAR race!

Anonymous said...

Darling, you are always amusing.