Day

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Day 13340, & the previous day recollected...

So, I planned ahead.  I planned to start slow.

I had "analyzed" my Garmin runs.  I had thought through my shortcomings and mistakes.

Start slow.

Normally, I run about a 9:15 to 9:30 pace on any run of substance.  My best, to date, had been a 3 mile run at an 8:58 pace.  All other attempts at speed have been met with some kind of defeat.

Start slow.

I decided that this race was really just a practice race.  It was just a Saturday hill run.  No pressure.

Start slow.

It was a nice opportunity to run with Lil' Bit.  Quite a few friends were running actually.  Why not enjoy the "fun run" part and just have a nice, social morning activity?  I even told Lil' Bit that I would hang with her at first, but that I might wander ahead after a few miles.

Start slow...

BANG!

Off I go, at a, 8:05 pace!  Uphill at an 8:05 pace.  Oh well, plans are just for dorks anyway!

Bye Lil' Bit!  See you in 55...

Yeah, first race.  I knew that I was surrounded by runner folks.  You know, those people.  The ones that judge you if you look like you are a newbie.  The ones that are all like "I am gonna kick your ass, you Garmin wearing amateur!"

Yeah? Well, fuck you! 

So, I felt a bit like I had something to prove.  Did I?  No.  But I felt pretty good as I chased the lead group up the initial .8 miles of hill.  Then people started to pass me.  No big deal.  A few cute boys ran by, shirtless.  I chased them a bit.  Then, a guy passed me, about 40, in his "gear" with a GU in his back, shirt pocket...

This is a 6.3 mile run, I thought to myself.

Really? He needs a snack in the next 45 minutes?

I ate 2 bowls of Cheerios this morning.  I feel full.

Then a few others ran by, including the woman with her dog, who later did his business in the middle of the street.  Always nice to dodge crap in the road.

After some nice flat, I finished mile 2 in 8:30.  Then, back up to the "city."  The good news here was that once I got up there, I got to run down a bridge to the Stadium.  Ahh, rest.  Mile 3, 8:45.

Now, had this race gone as planned, I would have had energy to spare at this point.  Nope.  Instead, when I saw the 5K marker, I felt tired and wanted to quit and run home (as this was also the part of the course closest to my house.)

No quitting.

Once I made it to the Gateway Bridge (the biggest hill of the race,) my playlist kicked in as planned.



Yeah, judge me if you want, but I got over the hill.

Then, as if a gift of encouragement, I passed GU guy, and his GU was gone.  Huh?  Shoulda had breakfast, bitch!

Then, my favorite moment.  Mile 5, water station.  The guy from Team Nashville, the guy that sold me my Brooks, the guy that yelled at me for running to soon in my running program, that guy...  He handed me my water.  I think he recognized me.  He grinned...

Then came the hard part.  The last mile.

I had looked at the course.  I thought I had it down.  No, apparently not so much, as I kept thinking I was almost done.  And every time I thought I was about to see the finish, I was directed to turn in the opposite direction.

For example, this hill, unexpected... I do love this picture, as you don't see anyone in front of me.  It is like I am winning!  And this song didn't hurt at the time, either.



Then, at 5.7 miles, a guy, same age, a bit heavier, slowed to a walk.  Now, I can't criticize.  It WAS mile 6 and he WAS still ahead of me.  He obviously had some stamina.  So, it was my job to keep him going.

"Half a mile to go! Pick it up! 10 minute mile! Move it! The faster you move, the sooner you're done!"

And he did.  Right next to me.  I felt like an inspiration.  Then I realized that he thought I meant that I was running a 10 minute mile.  Oops!  Well, I am sure he figured it out on his own...

MIles 4-6 were all right at 9:00.  Then, when Garmin hit 6 miles, and I KNEW I had to be close, I kicked it up.


Here I am, 1 block from the finish, running at a 7:30 pace.  Wow!  No GU and yet I was huffin' it and was still ahead of GU guy, et al.

I have watched very few races.  I have to say though, the finish line looks completely different when you are running towards it.  

I finished 92 out of 222.  Apparently, when you finish in the middle, you pretty much finish alone.  I saw no one in front, and no one behind.  Very weird.  Kinda like...


I really wanted that scene from Vanilla Sky when Tom is in the middle of empty Manhattan; but, I couldn't find it.  Oh well, trust me.  It was weird to run alone on the closed street.

54:52.  I beat my median goal, on all accounts.

Meet Lil' Bit.

Oh yeah, and I saw the guy I encouraged.  After the race, he was walking by with his wife and his 2 cute babies.  He thanked me for the push.  That felt great.

I think I have gone race crazy.  

When is the next one?

4 comments:

DG Strong said...

I think you have well and truly lost your cotton-pickin' mind.

Nat said...

Wow you look good! Did you cut your hair? Hi! Lil' Bit! Nice to see you again! Great job on the race guys!

Jen said...

Way to kick some runner ass!Congratulations on the great run.
You are going to run the Nashville 1/2 with us next year, right? You're going to be at Nat's speed!

xoxo
Stick

Charlie said...

Way to go Chris!

Be careful, you will end up run crazy like the rest of us...no, sounds like you alreay are!