Day

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Day 13337, & Greg is back...

Or, alternatively, "How to train for a 10K in 4 days..."

So, as I mentioned, Greg has been gone since the day after Mother's Day.

I worked a lot.  Not a lot, like 80 hours or anything; more like a lot, like 50 hours in 4 days...

Yuch!

I went in about 10 and left at about 11.

Yuch!

Anyhoo, he got back today.  Meanwhile, I had help a few days.  I didn't have to run the floor on Tuesday, or Wednesday...

And Wednesday, I got a "night out with regular people" evening.  Jay and I were supposed to have a date with Catherine and Bryan.  Jay had to cancel at the last minute.  The great koi/pond crisis of 2008 began at 5:15 yesterday, just as Jay thought he had successfully hooked up the new pump and filter.  Instead, the world stood endangered, ready to end, and he clearly had not showered.  

"I want to go, but I can't," he said, "The fish need me..."

So, we went without him.  They invited recently divorced friend Kirk.  Divorced? Not so important, but hey, life is about details...


So, here we are at Germantown, enjoying a bit of pre evening cheer.

And here is Catherine, hopping into their new Prius.  I have to say, as annoyed as I am with the Prius aesthetic, it is a pretty cool car.  
Quiet as a mouse, great gas mileage, and the backseat is about as roomy as the living room of my first apartment--not so much, as a living room; a lot as a back seat...



And...

It is quite high-tech.  
Pretty cool for those of us that like gadgets and accident-causing buttons and touch screens in our cars...

Anyway, our green, carpooling, electric-hybrid contribution to the Earth was all in  the name of...


HIIIILARIOUS!

I have not laughed so hard in forever.  Sadly, I can't recap much more of the evening, as I was a bit in my cups by the end of the show.  I did "film" several clips, but the youtube versions were just so much better quality...

But, of course, all roads, and evenings, lead to...

3 Crow.

This morning, ouchy...

Meanwhile, in regard to the alternate title, I registered for my first race.  I am running the Civic Design 10K this Saturday at 10 am.

I decided to do so last Monday evening, at the urging of my friend Melissa.  I said I wasn't ready to run a race yet.  She said that I would keep saying that until I actually got it over with.  A point I couldn't argue.

So, I "trained" for 2 days.  

Tuesday, I tried my own private 10K, a flat 10K mind you.  Well, it ended up as a private 7.5-ishK.  Not so good.

Wednesday, I tried a street run, with bridges.  I wanted something similar to the race course.  Again, not so good.  4.8 miles, but WAY SLOW.  Wednesday will be the day that goes down as the day I learned why traffic lights are bad.  Cruising along at a 9:00 pace, hit the red light (for three minutes) and couldn't get my pace back, ever...

Today? 1 mile treadmill warm-up for a non-leg, non-weight training day.  

So, my first timed race starts in 32 hours.  God willing, it will be over in 32:56 or less...

4 comments:

Nat said...

I love fun, adult evenings. Sigh.

You know, you are running a bit much the few days before your race. You will not see any gains from any single workout until a week-10 days after you do it. You should definitely take a full day's rest today.

Also, a lot of people never even run the full distance of their first race until they race.

You are going to do great but you should know that you probably won't win.

Good luck and I can't wait to hear about it.

PS Are the fish okay?

Stoph said...

Yes, yes, I know. No running yesterday or today.

I have already run 6 miles many times, so I didn't think much of doing it Tuesday. I know that I won't win. I just need to beat all the people that I know.

The fish are fine,

Jen said...

You are going to do awesome and I think you should try to win your age group. You never know!

Good luck and can't wait to read about it.

P.s. Tell Jay I said hello! Is he going to cheer you on?

Stick

Anonymous said...

Excuse me? Can we get back on topic?? Chris FINALLY blogs about me and all the comments are about him?

Please don't encourage him.