Day

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Day 13315, & Part Two, aka you bitches crazy!!!


So, when when we left off, I had just seen Nat and Charlie at mile 20 and I had just tried to catch up with Fishstick without maiming any small children in the process.  I failed... to catch up with Fishstick, that is.

She finished her 1/2 7 minutes better than her goal, 2:13!

Congrats to Fishstick!

It took about 15 minutes to navigate the crowd to find her.  Eventually, she talked me through it and I found her.  She and I made our way over to the finish to wait for Nat and found a good spot on the fence about 100 yards from the mat.

This was my first time watching a marathon.  I have to say it is quite inspirational.  It is easy to get caught up with the cheers from the crowd while appreciating the runners' achievements.

We had to wait about 15 minutes for Nat and Charlie to round the corner.  This allowed for 15 minutes of:

"Is that Natalie? Is that Charlie? There's a guy in red..."

God bless Fishstick...

Nat and Charlie, and Preston, came in right at 4:00.  Unfortunately, Nat was plagued with discomfort for most of the race.  That said, I have to say, 26.2 miles in four hours is pretty great, let alone with GI issues.  It was nice of Charlie to hang in there with Nat.  I hope that when I make it to marathon level, somebody is there to make me finish.

Anyway, Stick and I set out through the crowds again in search of Nat.  Then I got the text:

 "Beer...Shower!"

We found her at the NB tent.  Despite our worries, well ok, our incredible fear, her mood was good and we hung out a few minutes while she stretched, chatted with Preston (sans wife, again) and motivated ourselves for the walk back to the car.  With all the streets closed, it made for an extra mile or so added onto the 13.1 and 26.2.  And at least it allowed me some degree of exercise for the day.

Back at the house, the girls got ready for the beer part of the day.  I would say that this is when things started to change...

Upon arrival at 3 Crow Bar, we found Preston and his wife at a table and joined them.  Nat and Stick got some food and we all enjoyed some beverages.  I should also mention that it was at this table that I noticed several of the other marathoners staring our way.  I wasn't sure why until one finally approached to confirm that Natalie had indeed run the full.  Apparently, people have trouble believing you when you show up to the bar in heels, looking perfect, 2 hours after running 26 miles.

After Preston and wife departed, we made our way over to the bar and settled in.  

Jay joined us for a bit.  After a few drinks, he headed back home.  He even stopped off at the local gallery and bought me a present.  Note: I have been eyeing this painting for about 5 months.  I have absolutely no idea what sparked this impulse buy, but I am not going to complain.  Pretty...









We stayed at the bar.  I would say this was when things started to get ugly...

It all seemed calm at first...

We all seemed to be having a perfectly adult afternoon...

Natalie even too time out to lecture Lil' Bit on the dangers of smoking...

And Stick did a GREAT job of photographing every aspect of the day...
So, I have absolutely no idea what time we left the bar.  I do know that the tab was big.  I know that apparently I drank a lot.  Apparently, I drank 11 pints of beer.  And, apparently, while having trouble rounding up my companions, I threw my arms in the air as exclaimed "Let's go, bitches!"

Also, apparently, I was forced to run out and stop Nat and Stick from just wondering out into the street.  The walk home was fun, silly, and a bit insane.  Those pictures are on Nat's camera.  Ask her about them.

We stopped at the house to see if Jay wanted to go get dinner with us.  Fishstick decided that she and Nat should drink some vodka.  And then...


I have no idea what prompt adults to act like children...


But I am guessing it has something to do with drinks.

We made it around the corner to the restaurant, and I told the server we needed food immediately.  This was the one fact that I clearly understood.  Things seemed to calm down incredibly over the course of dinner.  Food, yes, food always helps...

I think that we were much better off on the walk back home...


OK, maybe we were not even the slightest bit better.

Sunday morning I thought I was going to die.  Instead, we all decided to go for a run.  As expected, Nat kicked my butt.  Yes, even after running 26 miles, the girl still runs 4 miles in 30 minutes.  I would hate her if she weren't so sweet.  Stick decided that a run wasn't that appealing and took a nature walk instead.

Brunch was nice.  It seemed to alleviate any residual hangover symptoms that hadn't been conquered by the run.  We headed home, they packed up, and headed back to Atlanta.  

Nat and Fishstick are quite a pair.  While I don't think I could handle another weekend anytime soon, I would venture to say that this was the most fun I have had in a long long time!

Actually, you two are welcome anytime.  Stick, I will tell my folks that they are entertaining at Christmas!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Chris-the videos of Nat and Stick are pretty much status quo for any gathering around here. If you had been here in Sept. for Sarah's wedding you'd see what I mean. Nat just doesn't do "dignified adult lady with two children" very well. And Stick is a party all by herself-so when they get together.........We are trying to keep this from Carmella-her mother mortifies her on a regular basis as it is. I'm saving up for her future therapist! Lala

Jen said...

I love you bizotches and can't wait to hang out at x-max. Thanks again for all of your hospitality.

Love Ya New BFF!!! HA!
Stick

Stoph said...

Lala- I think its safe to say that each of them could make friends in an empty room. As far as Carmella goes, ALL parents are stupid and embarassing until the child is 24 or 25 years old. She will just learn to accept the crazy.

Stick- Let George know to let Weazel know about the party we're panning. And, that they will be lucky to be invited. Meanwhile, I am quite sure I will see you before then...Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I meant to ask earlier about the painting ya'll bought. I'm wondering if the artist is Duy Huynh? It reminds me of his work, which I've long admired. Just curious to know if it's his. Duy Huynh shows here at Aliya Lindstrum Gallery. Check out their website and see what I mean. Great painting anyway. Love to see folks buy original art. Lala

Nat said...

Omg I about wet my pants laughing so hard. I didn't even know about that first video. I guess I maybe should be embaressed but . . .

Holy crap that was a fun weekend. I am so glad my GI issues resolved themselves so I could drink beer to have an excuse for the silliness.

Guess I better get on my post and get er up. So. Much. To. Say.

Mom, I think that is the name of the artist. There was a postcard with a picture of a guy on a boat and I think I remember that name being on it. His stuff sort of reminds me of yours. I knew you would like it. . .

Stoph said...

Yes, Lala, that is the artist. I have been wanting it for awhile, along with another, larger of a man in a boat, but it sold. Maybe that is what gave Jay the push he needed...

Jen said...

Nat,
that makes two of us......had no idea that one was being made. Oh well - it was fun and no one got hurt.
Aren't you supposed to compare all embarassing things to "no one got hurt"?

Stick

Stoph said...

Yes, it is hard to know you are being filmed when there is someone standing in front of your face with a camera...