Day

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Day 13313, & a weekend with Nat and Fishstick, Part One

So, you know how it can be awkward to see someone for the first time in 15 years?  You don't know what to expect.  You don't know what you are going to talk about. You don't know what you still have in common... Etc, etc...

And, you know how it can be awkward to have to spend a weekend with the friend of a friend? You don't know this person.  You don't know what to talk about. You don't want to offend them inadvertently, etc, etc...

Yeah, well none of that was an issue this weekend...

I only had to work lunch on Friday, as I had planned for the weekend.  Nat and Fishstick arrived around 2:30.  I went home to change and then drove back to meet up with them at the expo.  I was afraid to find parking, so I parked at LP and walked over the pedestrian bridge.  Wow, that bridge is LONG!!!  Anyway, after many texts, I found the girls at the convention center and we went to get them some lunch.  After much frustration over the fact that I NEVER go downtown, we settled on Merchant's for lunch.  As I was only having a beer for lunch, I was fine with whatever was decided.

I had never met Stick before.  In fact, I was a bit nervous about spending a weekend with Nat and Co.; it had been sooooo long since I had seen Nat, let alone getting to know a complete stranger...

Well, maybe not a complete stranger.  Apparently, Stick's dad, George, is golfing buds with my dad, Weazel.  And, apparently, Stick has been in my parents' new house, possibly more recently than I.   And, apparently, Stick really hit it off with my stepmother when they all celebrated George's last birthday.  So, ok, maybe not a total stranger...

Anyway, Friday was a bit subdued, as the girls had to get to bed early for the race.  After their lunch, we headed back to the car to get my car and off to the house we went.  Dropped of their stuff, they met Jay. Jay got a pot from Nat (see last post--thanks Nat... and Lala) idle chit chat, and off to dinner we went.

We were meeting Charlie for dinner.  Charlie and Nat are blog friends but had never met before.  Note: also a bit strange to me at first, but whatever...I am, after all hosting an old girlfriend for the marathon, so really, what is too strange???  Turns out, Charlie was in the Navy like Weazel (who's name is also Charlie, btw) and is a really nice guy.  

I have to mention my favorite part of dinner.  While we sat at the bar before going to the table, Nat was approached.  "Excuse me, is your name Nat?  I recognized you from your blog." She is famous?  Stick and I were amused, jealous, and a bit annoyed at her fame... Anyway, Preston was nice, even though he left his wife alone at their table for like 15 minutes while he talked runnin' with the folks at the bar.

My other favorite part of the evening?  DG's commentary on the evening: "You know, runner people are crazier than Lord of the Rings people..." I have soooo much to look forward to!

Dinner was great and we all had fun.  We finished up and headed home at about 9 so those running could get some sleep, as well as those who were driving those who were running.

5 AM, nothing better.  Actually, it was fantastic to wake up to the smell of coffee.  Jay doesn't ever start coffee in the morning.  I drove them to the start just as the rain let up.  Sadly, a result of the coffee being ready, I was unable to go back to sleep after the drop off.  So, I got some laundry done, ran the dishwasher, paid some bills.  I hopped on the interweb to stalk their progress and then made my way down to Nat's mile 20 (Stick's finish) at about 9:45.  Perfect timing...

Just as I walked past the 20 mile mark, Charlie and Nat appeared at the bottom of the bridge. Unfortunately, action shots were not a possibility as Nat was having issues with GU.  I got some pictures in, watched them resume the run, and made my way down to the 1/2 marathon turn into the stadium.  Again, it is all about timing.  And mine was off by about 14 seconds...

I made it down to the turn off just in time to see Fishstick run by.  I tried to catch up to get a better picture, but there were children strewn all over the sidewalk.  I couldn't navigate the obstacle course and handle the camera.  Oh well, off she goes...

to be continued...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Chris-Nat is still going on about how great your house is and how her run was so awful - but what a fun weekend it was. I know she and Stick can be a bit overwhelming when together-hope you and Jay survived the onslaught. Lala

Stoph said...

Lala- I would say I was able to hold my own. Jay, I think, is still recovering. I don't remember ever laughing my way through an entire day before-great fun! Just wait for Part Two of the post...