Day

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Day 13245, & a diagnosis, finally...

So, I went to the doctor today.

First, my appointment was at 1:30.  They said to arrive 20 minutes early.  I arrived 30 minutes early, and I had already filled out my new patient form online.  Needless to say, I was there PLENTY early.

1:05: I arrive and check in at the front desk.  I get more forms to fill out.

1:25: I get called from the waiting room, up to a desk.  She copies my insurance card, takes my completed forms, and sends me back to the waiting area.

2:05: I get called into the back.  Very exciting!!!  Only, then I am dropped off at yet another waiting room.  Granted, it was a nicer room, with CNN on the tv (vs. some soap opera,) and fewer people.  Maybe they just realized that I am better than most people and moved me to the fancy room?  There was an autographed Predators jersey in the new room.  Maybe I got to hang where the Titans and Predators wait.  Actually, I bet they never wait.

2:15: X rays, 6 of them... Then, back to the fancy room.

2:30: Finally, off to the exam room, where I see my X rays, a nurse, and the really cool "shorts" that I get to wear for the exam.  She leaves to I can get ready to model the shorts...

2:45:  Nothing...

2:55: The doctor comes in, asks me a few questions.  I answer: "Running, blah, blah, blah.  Work on my feet, blah, blah, blah.  Skiing next week, blah, blah, blah."  He moves my legs, bends my knees, looks at my ankles, feet, etc.

3:00:  The diagnosis!  Yea!  Finally!  Get ready for this...
.
.
.
.
.
"Your X rays look good.  I think that you have just stirred things up down there...."

What?

Really?

2 hours for this diagnosis?

I walked out with no diagnosis, no prescriptions, no new knee brace, nothing!  Now, don't get me wrong, I am overjoyed that I basically just have shin splints in my whole lower leg.  I love that only need ibuprofen.  I am excited that he said all I need to do is stretch and start working them out again, though he did mention the word "slowly..."  I am just a bit upset that it took soooo long to get to what I have been clinging to all along.  I knew  there was a reason to avoid the doctor's office!

So, now that I have my clean bill of leg and foot health, I am off to the gym tomorrow for a bit of leg work.  But...

No running until after the trip!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously? We all have to read the blow by blow? Wasn't it awful enough for you the first time that you have to relive in such detail?

I reeeeeeally hope you get laid in colorado so this blog picks up a little.

Nat said...

Ha! Your trip to the Ortho sounds like mine only with a few less tests but nevertheless essentially the same diagnosis. Who doesn't like to waste time?
I got to wear those shorts too!I had to sit next to a crabby old man who did not think it was funny at all when I complimented him on the shorts and asked him where he got his.

Anonymous said...

count your blessings mister Louie. you can ski, and ski we will! if it makes you feel any better my most recent orthopedic visit was informative - so much scar tissue around my ankle i should invest in a La-Z-Boy and retire to a life of Jerry Springer and Dog the Bounty Hunter. i've just decided being old sucks and hurts. work hard, play hard, rest hard. *cough cough*