Day

Friday, August 22, 2008

Day 13432, & I am not broken...

So, I do not have a stress fracture.

I DO have shin splints.  Posterior shin splints.  Well, actually, I have shin splint...

Now, I have had shin splints before.  These, as it turns out, were anterior shin splints.  Apparently, there are different kinds of shin splints.  Who knew?  Not me.

Anyway, I really liked Dr. Smith.  He was patient with my injury narration, my medical opinions, and my defense of mileage.  He also seemed somewhat sympathetic to my need for an explanation that suited my needs.

I questioned the injury, now going on 10 days hurting.  He explained that the other muscles weren't doing their job, allowing these micro tears in the tissue.  This also explains why my right shin/calf was so quick to recover last month.  As I have said, my right side?  Strong.  My left? Not strong.  

Causes?

Well, the weak muscle issue is a natural assumption (also suggested my Nat when she talked about the mysterious shin muscle that begins to develop over time.)  Overuse, but also poor stretching.  And, low arches or flat feet.  He did not mention over-pronation, but that always seems to be a usual suspect.

Solution?

I sat there, dreading the word.  I knew it was bound to come up.  And then, like ripping off the band aid, I asked:

So, just rest then?

No, not really.  Thank god!  Actually, he said a better stretching program, more recovery in my schedule, ice, and some massage.  He seemed big on the stretching.  I have always considered myself a responsible stretcher.  He did show me one stretch for my issue that I didn't know.

Prescription?

I have 8 physical therapy appointments.  Yes, I get 8 insurance paid sessions with a PT for shin splints.  Am I gonna go?  Yep.  At least a few times.  Some stretching, some assessment of my abilities, and maybe a bit of massage.  Yeah, I can go for that...

So, in a nutshell, I am still able to run.  Once I feel up to it, rather once my leg feels up to it, I am free to continue my training.  Based on my soreness this morning, I think it is definitely time to get back into it, or into something.  My legs are getting tight.  It is that lazy kind of tightness, the kind that needs exercise.  

My first PT appointment is Tuesday.  I will stay off the road till then.  I will stick with my enemy, the elliptical.  Just in case...

I am not sure what this will do to my training plan.  I am out 2 weeks.  I am going to wait and make that call once I get back out there.  I am going to have to reduce my mileage at first, building it back sensibly.  We'll see...

BTW, what's up with the women's 20K walk?  They look like aliens.  It gave me nightmares.  All that said, they are still fast.  I just don't get the point.

4 comments:

Nat said...

I totally should have been a doctor.
Glad it is not stress fracture. You definitley have to be proactive about avoiding injury at our age. YOu can train hard you just have to make extra sure not skip streching, ice, massage and all that stuff. Oh yeah and that rest thing.

The speed walking is gay. Looks like they are all racing to the bathroom, not the finish line.

What's the race plan stan?

Nat said...

And I mean gay as in dumb not gay as in gay gay. You knew that right? I don't think those that are gay walk like that. I mean, at least none that I know do. . .

Just wanted to be clear.

Anonymous said...

Nat needs to spend more time with Chris. I watch him walk to the bathroom at least eight times every Tuesday night, and that's exactly how he walks.

Oh, and not to get too analytical of your neuroses, Chris, but you wrote "my Nat" instead of "by Nat." Just thought I'd point that out. No reason in particular. I'm sure it doesn't mean anything.

Adam Sank said...

Hope you're back on your feet again soon, kiddo!