Day

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Day 13429, & I am going to the doctor...

So, maybe it is psychological...

Maybe, it is paranoia...

Whatever it is, it hurts.

I tried to run today for the first time in a week.

My last run?  Last Monday.  Interval training.  According to my shoe guy, my recovery time from the long run was way too short.  That makes sense.  Now.

As I have mentioned, I had a right shin/calf issue after the 4th of July 10K.  It lasted the duration of my trip to Kansas.  This was also unfortunate because running is pretty much the only activity I had planned for in Kansas.  Anyway, I got one decent run in after the race, and then the pain.  I took it easy on my return home.  I used the elliptical that week and the problem went away.

When I noticed a similar shin/calf pain last week in my left leg, I implemented the same treatment.  Elliptical and rest.  I bought new shoes and consulted with my guy.  I felt good about my plan.  

And then, it dawned on me a few days ago, as it still hurt to get out of bed first thing.  What if I have a fracture?  What if I am doing further damage?

Where would I get this idea?  Charlie.  Because, as you might also know, it is easy to assume other people's symptoms.  It is easy to wonder if it can happen to me... 

My leg feels tender, not painful.  Except when I run.   Then it hurts.

My run today was at the Greenway.  I stretched for 15 minutes.  I started at a slow, easy pace.  I picked it up to a still conservative 9:30 pace.  At 1 mile, I noticed I was almost limping.  So, I stopped and walked.  And the pain was worse.  It took me 20 minutes to walk the mile back.

But I didn't cry.

I got home, and looked up sports medicine.  Again, I am going to TN Orthopaedic Alliance, home of the TN Titans' doctors.  I checked out all the doctors ahead of time though.  I picked Dr. Smith.  No.  Dr. Stuart Smith.  Why?  Cause he's a runner.  And? Also a doctor.  He should know what I need to do.  Right?

I guess it is elliptical and core again tomorrow.  I will say that these injuries are really focusing me on my core work again.  Much need core work, I might add.

As I sit here and write this, I am not in pain.  I am fine, unless I run, or apply pressure just behind the inner shin bone.

My appointment is Thursday...

3 comments:

Nat said...

If it helps I struggled with shin pain my first year of running. I haven't had that problem since--had lots of other problems but not shin pain.

I do have this really ugly muscle that bulges on top of my shin now that I didn't use to have before I ran. I think that is why I don't have shin pain anymore.

Sorry your run sucked. Make sure you don't have stress fracture and baby it.

I am planning on running Chickamuaga with you but we have to do it under 4 hours. I can't run longer than 4 hours. I just don't wanna.

kisses.

Jen said...

I'm just glad you didn't cry. ;)

Get to the DR. so you feel better!

Love Ya!!!
Stick

P.s. I am not going to run the Chickamuga with you and Nat because I will not be training for it. I just don't wanna.

Stoph said...

Stick, depending on what the doctor says, I might not be running Chickamauga either. In that case, there's always a chance for a nice long run on T Day...

Nat, I think I can chase you to the finish in under 4, if I can run at all...