Day

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Day 13360, & I might stick with this running thing...

So, at the risk of being repetitive, here is a quote from an email I sent out in January of '08:

Me, run? Is that you competing with my sarcasm? As I work on my feet all day, I don't want to risk my knees and ankles on such an unpleasant activity. I have only been working out for 8 months of the last 20 years, so I still have some work ahead of me. Plus, it was exercise, or cut back on the beer. There was no thought needed.

That is how I genuinely felt about running. Now, I had no basis for this, other than the fact the my dad used to make me run. Everyone knows that if something is required, then it is bad. You know, like income taxes, property taxes, breeder sex, building permits, etc, etc... Similarly, I still refuse to pick up sticks in my own yard; this chore, as I explained to Jay years ago, will be his for eternity. Jay, just be glad that there are not also pine cones to worry about...

Once I started running, I felt more like this:


But then, like this:


Today, though, I feel like this:


When I got up this morning at 6:20, it was 68 degrees and overcast. I has all morning to enjoy my run. Yesterday was an easy 6 mile treadmill run (when I went outside to run yesterday morning, it was so muggy that I just "ran" to the car and drove to the gym...) These three factors apparently created the perfect storm.


I ran 10.42 miles today. I ran from my house to the northeast trailhead of the greenway (4 miles, hilly,) I ran the greenway to the southwest end (4 miles, flat,) and finished by running back to my house (2.4 miles, hilly.) I would say that I did this at a 9:30 pace, but I made 2 stops along the way and forgot to tell Garmin, who says my run was 1:42:ish overall.

My point, if I had one, would be that I am ready to run a 20K or a half marathon anytime now. It just took me a minute to get over the fear of distance. I am still worried about speed, but I am starting to focus my efforts in that direction. I also think that I need a running partner to push me in that direction. I think I could do 8:30 if I had someone to follow (Clay, are you reading this?) Then I can worry about 8 minute miles. (Mind you, I can run 8 minute miles now. I just can't do more than a few of them in a row. I also require the treadmill to keep my pace for me.)

I don't have my log with me, but I am guessing my week was something like:

Monday- Nothing, or maybe the treadmill...
Tuesday- 2.5 treadmill, 1 hour pilates, yoga, stupid Swiss ball
Wednesday- 8.3 miles, hilly street
Thursday- 1.5 miles treadmill, 1 hour upper and lower weights, and core
Friday- 6 miles, treadmill, with "hills" (level 5)
Saturday- 10.42 miles, hilly, flat, hilly
Sunday-I am not doing jack...

So, pretty close to 30 miles for the week. I actually feel certain that I did run Monday, but I can't remember where or how much. If so, it would knock me over 30 miles for the week. I never felt like I was pushing. That being the case...

I think I am going to train for a full in November. I certainly don't see anything wrong with throwing the option out there. The worst that could happen?

A girl can always change her mind...

Oh yeah, and can somebody please tell Jay to let me buy a bike...

5 comments:

Nat said...

Jay buy Chris a bike. Bikes are fun. Bike commuting saves money. Chris will pick up sticks if you buy him a bike. And pinecones. And rake the yard.

Chris! Great job! But I do caution you that 26 miles is a lot longer than 10 miles. However I am planning on a full in Dec (Huntville, AL,) and it is a relatively flat course. I really would not reccomend the Atlanta full. Though it was my first . . . Anyway, let me know which marathon you decide and I will come run with you and pace you to sub 4 hours--so long as it doesn't conflict with an A race--for which I am STILL trying to go under 3:30 for.

At any rate, pick a half in early Oct.

Stoph said...

First, a clarification; My total mileage for the week was 34.3. I ran 3.1 last Monday, and I also slipped and fell into my running shoes yesterday for 2.5 miles (it was hot)

Second, I am not picking up sticks. You gotta draw the line somewhere.

Third, I do not equate 10 miles with 26. Rather, I think that if I can handle 25-34 miles a week right now, then I should be up for a 4 month rookie training program.

Anonymous said...

J, please buy Chris a bike. But not until he stops this stupid running thing.

Stoph said...

NEVER!!! People, I can buy my own bike, by the way. I just don't want to feel guilty about my self-indulgence...

Jen said...

You should buy yourself a bike and not think twice about it. Really, I find it quite easy to get over the guilt.... HA!!

xoxo
Stick