Day

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 14102, & it is another scorcher...

So, it's freaking hot!

I hate summer in the South. There's no getting around it. OK, well, I didn't hate the last 2 summers so much. This one though? It just started and its been nearly 100 for the last four days. And, I probably would have hated the last couple of summers, too, had I been running much back then.

I picked the wrong week to start marathon training (and to quit sniffing glue.)

Anyway, I have 143 days to get ready for the Malibu Marathon. 20 weeks. Most of these weeks? Summertime weeks. Awesome...

Last week was a training FAIL. I started strong but I lost steam after sleeping past 6 one morning and missing the window of tolerable opportunity. I know, I sound like a wimp. Whatever! I can tolerate heat, some humidity, and glaring sun. I just don't like to have to tolerate all three at the same time. It's a lot like tolerating Reid, Pelosi, and Obama at the same time. Impossible! But if we just had to put up with two of them, I could probably deal. Anyway, mornings allow me to at least avoid the sun.

Yeah, so I overslept. I missed it and when I let the dog out it felt like I was opening an oven. Correction: it felt like a giant jacuzzi was emptying out all over me. Hot and wet. Gross...

What to do? Well, I did what anyone would. I joined the gym. The Y to be exact. And let me tell you, that shit ain't cheap. Quite a price to pay for a little shut eye. Sigh...

I needed to do it anyway. I need cross training options and now I have them. I haven't been in a gym in 2 years. I haven't been on a treadmill in over 2. But elliptical machines? Bikes? Yoga classes? Yeah, I need them; though, I have to say I really haven't missed the treadmill or the gym. Oh well...

I am now in need of a revised training plan. I'm thinking of going with an every other day run/gym routine, but it won't give me the miles I want. Oh, speaking of miles, I found someone doing the Hanson Brothers' Plan. A motivating read, and someone else gets to be the guinea pig...

That pretty much sums up a dull start to training.

Week one: 25.15 miles, five days
Week two: 26.12 miles, six days
Week three: 29.24 miles, six days
Week four: 19.83 miles, three days Boo!

This week, so far, I've gotten in 8.something miles and a really strong gym day today that included bike, elliptical, stairclimber, along with calf, glute, hamstring, and quad weights.

Tomorrow, I think I might be sore...

No comments: