Day

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Day 13374, & I might have seen the wall come down...

So, just to be clear, the wall I referred to in the last post was not only in reference to running. Sure, the analogy was inspired by running. Sure, it was on my mind, as I has just listened to Clay talk about his bad run last week.

All true, but...

My wall was much, much bigger. It was a work wall, home wall, life in general wall, and yes, also a running wall.

Now, in order, I will quickly tell you about each:

We designed our restaurant concept to be fairly recession-resistant. We did not design it to be George W Bush-135.00 a barrel- mortgage crisis- real estate is in the tank- recession- resistant. Who can do that? Well, apparently The Cheesecake Factory can, which is ridiculously annoying. Nuff said.

On the home front... Well... Let's just say that Jay and I do not compartmentalize our feelings very well. Just close your eyes and imagine working with your significant other, full time, in a public setting... OK? How is that dream working out for you? Moving on.

On the topic of life in general... It's just hot! I don't like being sweaty. Well, I don't like it when all I am doing is getting the mail. Sweaty, in general, is just not pretty. Note: there are a few exceptions to this rule that I need not explain...

Finally, on the running front, I did indeed hit a wall last Saturday. My planned 12 mile run turned into a very poor 6 miles at a 10:13 pace. And, here's why...

A. I had been on what I am only able to reconstruct as a 20 day stretch of running activity. I realize that I should probably have taken a rest day or two in there, but I didn't, until last Thursday (due to work related traumas) and Friday (again, due to work related traumas)...

B. As I was running by anyway, Jay made me stop at the restaurant to see him on my long run. Stopping is never a good idea. Stopping for 10 minutes? Insane...











Regarding stopping, I give you my new nemesis...








So, yes, I did hit the wall with the running, too.

Maybe, I do need to run another race. I had planned the 4th of July 10K here, and a 10 mile race in the Adirondacks. Now, however, I am going out west to Dodge City, Kansas to see my grandmother on her 94th birthday. I am sure the blog posts will be entertaining and frequent on this trip...

I had picked out a few other races, but then I registered for the Murfreesboro 1/2 on Oct 11th. That screwed up a number of the planned races. Oops! Time for a calendar... I am now on a search for some training races. Training races, you say? Why yes, I did...

I think I have picked my first marathon. In fact, I started a 16 week rookie training schedule on Monday. I should be ready for the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon by the end of October, allowing some inevitable adjustments to my training regimen.

All said, I need some 10Ks, 20Ks, 10 milers, and 1/2 marathons to choose from. All should be close to Nashville (3-4 hour driving radius), as I will also be opening that new restaurant in September...

I picked a hell of a time to start running...


Our water plants bloomed today...






Whatever it takes to smile, right?

6 comments:

Nat said...

Okay, you know I am right there with the fun of working with your other half not to mention the stress of a business that struggles deperately under this recession.

And I will try to come out and run Chickamuaga with you but it will be tough to not want to try for a PR.
Are you going to run the Atlanta Half at Thanksgiving? Price is $35 until 8/31 FYI.

I just don't even know what to say about your trip. Kansas. Have fun?
Happy B Day Grams!

Stoph said...

Well, if you are just going to run away from me, maybe I can get Charlie to run WITH me...

Besides, running a slow 3:50-3:59 should be a good training run 5 weeks before your Huntsville race, right?

And, of course, Stick is expected to come run the half!

Nat said...

Just saying it will be hard to run the same marathon and not want to run faster. But yes, 5 weeks is a good time. I was gonna say Charlie is running MCM and New York the weekends before but he's Charlie. If you asked I bet he would come and run.

There is no half. Just a 10 mile but Stick will do it.

Also, the flowers are very pretty. Meant to say it in my first comment.

Also, Hi Jay!

DG Strong said...

"We did not design it to be George W Bush-135.00 a barrel- mortgage crisis- real estate is in the tank- recession- resistant."

Hahahahahah How's that Repug voting working out for you now? HEHEHEHEHEHEHEH

The irony is more delicious than anything at your restaurant!

And now! I will stop being mean.

(oh yeah, and congratulations on running blah blah blah healthy whateverthefuck)

Anonymous said...

I'm with DG.

Charlie said...

Looks almost like my water plants...Pretty!Water lilies are blooming but my lotus hasn't had a bud yet.